Association Research Memorial Page
In 2009 the Institute for Nonprofits at North Carolina State University and the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) partnered with the common goal of encouraging academic research on membership associations. The goal was to create a web infrastructure that limited the barriers to and created incentives for association research. Using archival data provided by ASAE and their constituents, the partnership would aim to yield scholar interest and output.
It is a pleasure to report that over the past 5 years the partnership has been successful in its goals and has had a widely positive impact on association research for both academics and practitioners. As we near completion of this large undertaking we reflect on the hundreds of individuals and their work that made our goals a reality. The Institute and ASAE are proud to consider this initiative a success and we want to thank everyone who was a part of it.
- Richard Clerkin, Interim Institute Director/Associate Professor of Public Administration
- Gary Travinin, Project Coordinator
Former Project Staff
- Mary Tschirhart, Grant Author, Institute Director
- Brittney Cofield-Poole, Project Coordinator
- Sharon Moss, Chief Research Officer
- Monica Dignam, former Chief Research Officer
- Gazley, B. “Governance and board performance in U.S. membership associations” presented at ARNOVA (Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations & Voluntary Action), November 21-23, 2013, Hartford, CT
- Saithalina, M., & Dicke, L. “The role of professional associations in strengthening civil society through membership engagement” presented at ARNOVA (Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations & Voluntary Action), November 21-23, 2013, Hartford, CT
- Saitgalina, M., & Dicke, L. “Sustaining volunteer motivation: Is it different among young professionals joining nonprofit membership associations?” presented at ASPA (American Society of Public Administration), March 2-6, 2012, Las Vegas, NV
- Rodgers, S. “Volunteer psychological climate and its effect on volunteer satisfaction” presented at Academy of Management, August 3-7, 2012, Boston, MA
- Saitgalina, M., & Dicke, L.“Sustaining volunteers: Are nonprofit professional membership associations meeting the challenge” presented at, SECOPA (The Southern Conference for Public Administration), September 21-24, 2011, New Orleans, LA
- Tschirhart, M., Lee, C., & Travinin, G. “Motives for and Rigor of Credentialing Programs: A Multi-Level Stakeholder Approach” presented at ARNOVA (Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations & Voluntary Action), November 2011, Toronto, CA
- Tschirhart, M., & Gazley, B. (2014). Advancing Scholarship on Membership Associations New Research and Next Steps. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 43(2 suppl), 3S-17S.
- Hager, M. A. (2014). Engagement motivations in professional associations.Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 43(2 suppl), 39S-60S.
- Gazley, Beth. 2013. Predicting a volunteer’s future intentions in professional associations: A test of the Penner Model. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 42(6):1245-1267.
Investigator Incentive Grant
- Sean Rodgers, Rutgers University ($4,000)
- Mark Hager, Arizona State University ($3,200)
- Theresa Kirchner, Hampton University ($2,500)
- James Gaskin, Case Western Reserve University ($2,500)
- Wenli Yan and Margaret Sloan, James Madison University ($3,927)
- Myung H. Jin, Virginia Commonwealth University ($4,000)
- Roland Kushner, Muhlenberg College ($4,000)
- Lindsey McDougle, University of Pennsylvania ($3,500)
- Eyun-Jung Ki, The University of Alabama ($3,965)
ASAE Travel Award
- Lisa Dicke, University of North Texas ($1,415)
- Roland Kushner, Muhlenberg College ($2,019)
- Cleopatra Grizzle, Rutgers University ($2,500)
- Myung H. Jin, Virginia Commonwealth University ($1,850)
ASAE Outstanding Academic Publications on Membership Organizations Award
- Delia Baldassarri, New York University (2012 Winner, $5,000)
- Matthew Bagatta, Indiana University (2013 Winner, $5,000)
- Mark Hager, Arizona State University (2014 Winner, $5,000)
- Atul Teckchandani, California State Fullerton (2014 Winner, $5,000)
- Markova Gergana et al., Wichita State University (2014 Winner, $5,000)
If you are interested in exploring association research please click on the sidebar link to contact ASAE about access to data and available publications. You can also explore research on associations by downloading the Institute’s 2013 Bibliography, citing research on associations dating back nearly 14 years.